Thursday, February 12, 2009

Obsessing

So I am really obsessing about my weight. I just went to The-F-Word and asked what I should do about went people call me fat. But frankly it's only my mom and I calculated my BMI today and it's 23, which is normal. It wouldn't bother me as much if she didn't say it all the time and then tell me that I should go on a diet. I mean come on! I just don't get it.

I feel worthless when she tells me things like that. I think its her way of telling me something that she hates about herself. But I hate it... I can't even think right now...I'll finish this later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi FairyBerry -

I saw your blog linked through the F-word blog.

I just wanted to let you know that there are a *lot* of us out there who have had parents who call us, or imply, that we're fat. Even when we aren't, not by any reasonable standard.

I think you should approach this in your own mind not that it isn't right for her to call you fat because you're not, but that it isn't right for her to call you fat because she uses it to intimate that there's something *wrong* with you.

There's nothing wrong with being normal, under-normal, above-normal, whatever. What's "normal," anyway? What's wrong is when people point things out about ourselves (true or not) in order to make us feel bad. I think you might try reverse psychology here: when your mom intimates that you're fat, take it as a compliment. Say, "Thanks mom, I love my curves!" After a while, you might even believe it yourself.

Don't let people pick you apart, hon, no matter how close they are to you. And there are nice ways to get them to stop. You could even tell your mom that you don't want to talk about weight with her, ever again. Tell her, "Mom, I love you so much, but it makes me feel really uncomfortable talking about weight and I'm not going to do it anymore."

Good luck.

Liz Miller said...

But FB! You KNOW your fireplacing mother is trying to put off her own fireplacing crazy issues onto you.

It's important for her to have YOU be the one in the house with the problems when, in fact, at this moment, you are the healthiest.

It's time to get the fireplace out of there.

And, of course, what bigliberty said.

Lunch next week?

XO